Saturday, February 16, 2008

Rainy Wendy's

For the past week of the mission we have done a good job strategizing food ops to keep the team fed. Each person on the team would bring in food one day to feed the shift. So, we got to the point where everyone had brought in food and today we didn't organize anything. We made an impromptu decision to make a quick run to the local Wendy's to grab dinner. The Flight Director wanted in on the action too. I volunteered to grab it since I was LOS. Wasn't as simple as I thought it would be...

I went to get the food and when I got back to my parking spot the bottom fell out of the sky. I mean we are talking the kind of rain that makes you instantly soaked. Excellent timing. So, since I don't have a radar in my 4Runner and there was no end to the monsoon in sight, I decided I'd just have to brave the 100 yard walk with my trusty discount umbrella. Keep in mind that I have food for 6 people, biggie sized and all.


So I'm racing with the umbrella, carton of drinks, and huge paper bag full of food. Coke begins to slosh out of the cups because they are wobbling in the cheap cardboard carton. It starts to slosh onto my shirt! Next I can see the paper bag starting to get rain on it because the rain is coming sideways. Even worse I can feel my pants getting drenched from the knee down. I have nothing I can do except run faster!

I finally get to the MCC and I have no way of opening the door without dropping the umbrella so I toss it aside as the wind blows it away. I fumble with all the food trying to get my hand free to open the door and then it happens.......... the paper bag was compromised. Food everywhere.

So at this point, the umbrella is on it's way back to the car, the food is taking a shower, and the guard is laughing his butt off at me. "Oh man!", he yells to me. "Let me get you a trash bag for that food!"

Sigh, Flight said that dinner was delicious.

No comments: